Friday, May 1: Costume Bike Parade
- Kick off Bike Month 2015 in style with the 3rd Annual Costume Bike Parade. Wear a costume, ride a bike. It’ll be a short loop around court square. Helmets are required. Family friendly pace.
- Meet us at the Turner Pavilion at 5:30.
Sunday, May 3: First Ice Cream Ride
- Join us for the first Ice Cream Ride of Bike Month. We’ll leave the parking lot of Kline’s Dairy Bar at 2:00 PM for an easy, family-friendly ride through the streets of Harrisonburg.
- After the ride, stick around and join us for ice cream!
- Bring the kids! Don’t forget to wear your bike helmet! And if you’re under 18, come with a parent or guardian!
Wednesday, May 6: Bike to School Day
- Students and parents are encouraged to ditch the car or school bus and BIKE to school on Wednesday, May 6, joining lots of other families for National Bike to School Day!
- Parents: join together with your neighbors and friends to form bike trains—adults in the front and back, and kids ride in the middle—a fun and healthy way to get to school!
- Thomas Harrison Middle School will host Bike to School Day and have prizes and activities when kids arrive on bikes!
- Want your school to have an event? Grab a few interested parents and call Becky at (540) 810-2005 or Nathan at (540) 421-4526 for support and resources on how to get started.
Thursday, May 7: Bike Rodeo at Mountain View Elementary
- In partnership with Sentara RMH and the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Department. Mountain View Elementary students in grades 3-5 will learn riding and traffic skills as well as bike maneuvering in various scenarios.
- The event will conclude with a group ride in the Monte Vista neighborhood with the help of Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office bicycle escorts.
- Volunteers are needed! Contact Becky Johnston at (540) 564-7388 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sunday, May 10: Celebration of Women’s Cycling
- Come join us on a ride to celebrate women’s cycling on May 10 in conjunction with the internationally celebrated CycloFemme! We’ll meet at Kline’s Dairy Bar, 58 East Wolfe Street, at 2:00 pm and ride for about an hour.
- This ride is for anyone who wants to celebrate women, mothers and daughters; you do not have to be a female to ride. We ride at a comfortable, casual pace and no one will be left behind! Whether this is your first ride in years or if you’re a pro, join us for a fun, short ride.
- Join the Women of Harrisonburg on Wheels Facebook group for updates and details on this ride and others!
Tuesday, May 12: Movie Night at Bella Luna
- Join us at 7 PM for a showing of the classic “Triplets of Belleville” at Bella Luna!
- Meet at 6 PM at the Shenandoah Bicycle Company for an easy, casual pre-movie ride.
- The movie is free, but you need a ticket; go to the Friendly City Food Coop to pick yours up.
- If you can’t make it tonight, we’ll be showing it again on Tuesday, May 26.
Friday, May 15: Bike To Work Day
- Join people all over the country and ride your bike to work today! While you’re at it, organize a team of riders from your workplace and participate in a little friendly competition.
- Stop at Court Square on your way to work for a free breakfast, served from 7:00 till 10:00 am.
- Be sure to sign in when you get to Court Square to be entered in the drawing for door prizes!
Saturday, May 16: Confident City Cycling Class
- Join us for “Confident City Cycling,” a class that gives bike riders the confidence they need to ride safely and legally in traffic and on the trail. This class is combination of parking lot drills and on-road practice.
- The class will be taught at the Community Activities Center at Westover Park from 9 AM till 1 PM.
- Click here for more information and to register.
- The same class is also being offered on Saturday, April 25.
Saturday, May 16: Evening Glowstick Ride
- Join us for a night ride on the Bluestone Trail! There will be activities and games starting at 7:30 pm. The ride will begin when it gets dark, around 8:15.
- There will be games and bike safety checks organized by Bluestone Bike & Run.
- You are encouraged to decorate your bike with glowsticks and lights! Some glowsticks will be available.
- Meet at the parking lot next to Kids’ Castle at Purcell Park.
Wednesday, May 20: Ride of Silence
- The Ride of Silence will begin in North America and roll across the globe, beginning at 7:00 PM in every time zone. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways.
- Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn’t aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves.
- Harrisonburg’s Ride of Silence begins and ends at the University Commons on the EMU campus.
Friday, May 22: Bike, Run, Sweat and Beers
- Head over to Brothers Craft Brewing (formerly 3 Brothers) this evening for the second annual edition of this casual, 10-mile ride around the city!
- The ride starts arount 5:30, but you’ll want to arrive early to get registered …
- … because all registered riders 21 and older receive a $1 discount on an after-ride beer!
Friday, May 29: Novice Ride
- Are you just getting (back) into biking, and still feel a little uncomfortable riding in traffic? Then this ride is just for you!
- Meet us at the Friendly City Food Co-op at 6 PM.
- We will ride around town for about five miles at a casual pace; nobody will be left behind!
Sunday, May 31: Ice Cream Ride #2
- Didn’t get enough ice cream the first time? Join us for another Ice Cream Ride, and help us bid farewell to Bike Month 2015!
- We’ll meet again in the parking lot next to Kline’s on E. Wolfe St. at 2:00 pm, and take a nice, casual ride around town.
- Bring your helmet and bring your kids! (And if you’re under 18, bring a parent or guardian!)
- Did I mention that there will be ice cream at the end?